Grading of Eggs
Grading of eggs is the sorting of eggs into different categories on the basis of some parameters like weight and internal quality. It helps in promoting identical packing and pricing and quality assurance to the consumers. It stimulates the production of quality eggs and helps in reducing wastage. Straightforward market price reporting and easier advertising and establishment of brand names of the quality product are some of the other advantages of grading.
Types of Egg Grading
Basically, there is two way we can grade of eggs at the home. But, it depends on country to country. Nevertheless, the requirement of egg grading more less the same worldwide. Therefore, I am going to elucidate the Indian which is called BIS/ Agmark standard
1. Grade of table eggs based on egg weight
Table eggs are defined as an egg that is normally used as a consumer product in the household in our daily life. the more common table eggs items are egg fry, egg omelet, used in cake, bread, ice-cream, and other recipes.
|Grade||Weight Per Egg (gram)||Weight per dozen eggs (gram)|
|Extra Large||60 and above||715 and above|
|Large||53 to 59||631 to 714|
|Medium||45 to 52||535 to 630|
|Small||38 to 44||456 to 634|
2. Grade of table egg based on egg quality
|Shell||Unbroken. clean, sound and normal shapes||Clean to moderately stained, sound but |
|Airshell||4 mm or less in-depth. practically regular||8 mm or less in-depth, maybe free and |
|Egg white||Clean and reasonably firm||Clear and slightly weak|
|Yolk||Fairly centered, practically free from defects, outline indistinct||May be slightly off-centered, outline |
grading of eggs also depends on egg-containing feces in some instances. Some Emeria spp is responsible for causing intestinal coccidiosis to cause indigestion and leading low-grade eggs.
How to perform Egg grading manually?
1. The weight of the egg is to be taken with the help of egg ‘weighing balance.
2. The eggshell is to be inspected visually for its cleanliness and egg is to be candIed for judging the the the soundness of eggshell.
3. By means of handling of the egg, the shape of the the the the air cell can be known. The depth of air cells can be measured with the help of a measuring scale.
4. The firmness of egg white and position of yolk can be judged with the help of the candling of the shelled egg.
Manual On Avian production And Management by Dr. Nilotpal Ghosh and Dr. Rajarshi Samanta