TYPES OF POULTRY DIETS
According to types of poultry and chicken, there are 5 types of poultry diets available in the world. the purposes of specific types of poultry diets or feed to achieve a target production and benefits. the five types of poultry diets are-
- Starter diets
- Turkey Growing and Finishing Diets
- Growing Diets and Developers for Leghorn-Type Chickens
- Laying Diets for Leghorn-Type Chickens
- Usually fed first 2 to 3 wk to chickens and 2 to 4 wk to turkeys.
- higher energy and nutrient contents vs. others, especially protein/amino acids, but Leghorn-type pullets are fed diets with lower protein until 6 wk or so.
- Include high doses of antibiotics to reduce mortality and initiate more rapid growth and also a suitable coccidiostat.
2. BROILER DIETS
- Higher vitamin supplementation to meet the added requirements for growth under the stressful conditions encountered in the average broiler operation.
- May contain 3 to 5% added fat to increase the energy content and the protein content is adjusted to maintain an optimum protein: calorie ratio.
- Fortified with antibiotics and should contain a coccidiostat
- Generally, two types: grower diets, fed from 3 wk to 6 wk of age, and finisher or withdrawal diets, fed from 6 wk to market age.
3. Turkey Growing and Finishing Diets
- Similar to broiler diets and fed as a complete feed to meat-type birds.
- Generally, use diets with a different CP content for 4- 8, 8-12, 12-16, 16-20 wk, and over 20 wk of age.
Growing Diets and Developers for Leghorn-Type Chickens
- Designed to be fed to the replacement stock from 6 wk to sexual maturity.
- Two types: 1) Complete feed, mash, or pelleted – Generally lower in protein than starter diets, and 2) Mash concentrate – Fed with varying amounts of grain to meet the needs.
Laying Diets for Leghorn-Type Chickens
- Diets fed to mature hens during egg production
- Two ways/types: 1) complete feed – mash or pelleted, and 2) mash concentrate to be fed with a specified amount of grain or mixed with grain & soybean meal.
- The salt content may be decreased to reduce the incidence of wet droppings
- Cage fatigue? – Perhaps, the result of a Ca deficiency? If so, the Ca content should be
- increased, or provide a Ca source on a free-choice basis.
- Hens producing hatching eggs? – Should be fed a more highly fortified feed (especially, vitamins) than hens kept merely for commercial egg production.
- Increase protein and vitamins during the period of stress or slumps in egg production. Also, use a higher dose of an antibiotic or a combination of antibiotics?
What are the different types of poultry?
According to feed ingredients, there are 3 types of poultry are available in the market
- Pellet feed
- crumble feed
- Mash Feed
According to types of poultry, poultry feed are classified into 5 types
- Broiler starter
- 2. Turkey Growing and Finishing Diets
- 3. BROILER DIETS
- 4. Growing Diets and Developers for Leghorn-Type Chickens
- 5. Laying Diets for Leghorn-Type Chickens